Tuesday 19 January 2010

Mmmm pancakes!














The pancakes were a great success! So light and fluffy that you wouldn't know they were wholewheat. The children wolfed them down with agave (pron: agahvay) syrup and butter.

I have just scoffed three Lindt chocolates; just couldn't stop myself. In my defense, they were 70% dark choc (loaded with iron) and tasted delicious, which I reckon means they must be good for me! And before you argue that McDonald's tastes good too, I SO don't agree!

I was just leafing through a lovely cookbook of mine, 'The Enchanted Broccoli Forest' for something to cook tonight. Mollie Katzen wrote this in 1982, and it is a bit late 70s Californian Veggie Cuisine, but none the less for that and so lovely to rediscover! I think I will try her Piroshki which is pizza dough pasties with lovely fillings. My family (isn't everything usually centred around what the kids will eat???) like spinach and cream cheese, so that's that!

Piroshki

1 quanitity pizza dough:

500g strong white flour
10g dried yeast
10g salt
2 tbs olive oil
300ml hot (not boiling) water

Filling:

500g cream or cottage cheese
100g feta cheese
1.5 tbs lemon juice
4 chopped spring onions
handful chopped parsley
1/2 tsp dill
150g grated cheddar cheese

Heat the oven to 220 degrees/Gas mk 8.
Make the dough. Combine all the ingredients and mix well. Tip the dough out and knead vigorously for 5 mins until smooth and silky. Leave to rise for 20-30 mins.

Meanwhile combine all the filling ingredients and mix well.

Divide the dough into 8 pieces and form into balls. Roll each one out into a circle about 0.5cm thick. Place some filling on one side of the circle. Bring the other side over and seal the edges with water and a fork. Prick with a fork a few times and place on a greased baking tray.
Bake at 220 degrees/Gas mk 8 for 20 minutes and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to get your feedback - leave me a message!