Monday 25 January 2010

Winter Comfort Food


I am not a meat-eater. Do meat-eaters crave comforting, warming winter food in the same way as vegetarians, I wonder? I am wanting cheese at the moment, and warm, roasted and baked food. it makes me feel full and satisfied; salads just don't do it for me, not this week anyway! Check out these recipes I baked tonight for tea, mmmmm!






Baked Kabocha Squash

One whole Kabocha squash (or onion or acorn)
Butter
1 leek
1/2 red pepper
Gruyere cheese
Seasoning
2 tbs double cream (optional)

Heat the oven to 200 degrees/Gas mk 6.
Place the squash on a large sheet of foil, on a baking tray. Cut the top around the stalk and take off the lid. Scrape out the seeds (I am going to try washing mine and roasting them with sesame seeds and soy sauce later!) and add some scrapings of butter around the edge of the hole. Replace the lid, fold over the foil to seal and roast in the oven for about 1 hour 15 mins.
Open the foil and the lid may have fallen into the now soft squash and the sides will have split! Tip in the vegetable mixture and a lot of cheese, and I even added a couple of tablespoons of double cream. Seal the foil again and put in the oven again for another 15 minutes.

The squash has a lovely sweet flavour, which is deliciously complimented by the sweet leeks and nutty gruyere!
Fry the leeks in a knob of butter until soft, then add the chopped red pepper for a few minutes to soften. Season well. Eat and sigh with delight!!

AT THE SAME TIME:

Fluffy Baked Potatoes

I couldn't work out how to upload a second picture today - so you'll just have to take my word for it that they looked lovely!!

6-8 baking potatoes, pricked with a fork
50g butter
100g cheddar cheese
2 balls mozzarella
Seasoning

Bake the potatoes for 1 hour 15 minutes along with the squash.
When cooked, slice them in half horizontally and gently scrape out the cooked flesh into a large bowl, leaving some attached to the skins. Place these skins on a baking tray. Mix the potato flesh with the butter, cheeses and seasoning. Replace the mixture into the awaiting skins and give them a good grating of extra cheese. Bake in the oven for a further 15 minutes until golden and looking GOOD!





1 comment:

  1. Great site Clarey, I though that Aubergine, Parmesan and mozerella dish was just so scrummie... two weeks later and I'm thinking I'd call and ask exactly how you did it so I can cook it and here it is on your blogg! Brilliant Thanks. :-) Sare

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback - leave me a message!