Tuesday 23 February 2010

Simple, simple, simple!


It has just begun to snow! I LOVE the snow. Wasn't it blissful in January when there was nothing else to do but go sledging? To me, it seems to make everything clean and new..... until it turns into slush!
After a long, wet day in London visiting the Zoo, we arrived home cold and in need of something substantial but simple. Not much in the 'fridge, but I noticed double cream, and thought of some pasta. I also had frozen prawns and peas, and some fresh parsley on the windowsill. Aha!

This dish is so simple, and uses ingredients I usually have lying around somewhere. Try it and see.

Last Minute Pasta

284ml double cream
1 clove garlic, peeled
a cup of frozen peas
a cup of frozen prawns
a handful of chopped parsley
salt and pepper
500g dried pasta, I use the shells so they scoop up the sauce

Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the pasta for the time on the packet. Four minutes before the end, tip in the peas. 2 minutes before the end tip in the prawns.
Meanwhile, heat the cream in a small saucepan with the garlic clove - don't boil though.

Drain the pasta, put back into the saucepan. Take out the garlic clove and add the cream, parsley and a good grinding of salt and pepper to the pasta.

Serve immediately, before the cream is absorbed by the pasta.

Variations:
Add a handful of chopped, smoked ham
Add a few slices of chopped smoked salmon
Add some sliced salami
Add some cooked, chopped spinach

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to get your feedback - leave me a message!