Thursday 4 February 2010

Something out of Nothing!


More lovely friends over for lunch today (I seem to be entertaining a lot lately!) and we decided bread and cheese. And there is not much nicer than freshly baked bread, so I cooked the soda bread again.
Looking in the fridge I spied three little pastry tart cases that I made with left-over pastry on Tuesday, and peas were in my brain. I always think you should try to eat what you are thinking about, even and especially if that is chocolate! My theory is that your body is infinitely wise and knows exactly what it needs and so I like to honour that and take heed. Today it was 'peas'! And so, three little pea and leek tarts were born!

Pea and Leek Tarts

6 little tart cases, or cases lined with pastry (no need to bake blind)
1 small leek, sliced thinly
a cup full of frozen peas
2 eggs
4 tbs creme fraiche
Splash of milk
salt and pepper
3 mint leaves (optional)

Put the peas and leeks into a pan of boiling water and bring back to the boil for three minutes. Drain and whizz or mash until squashed but not pureed. Mix the eggs, creme fraiche and milk, then stir in the pea mixture; season to taste. Be brave; the mint adds a great deal of sophistication.
Pour the peas into the pastry cases and bake for 20-25 minutes at 200 degrees/gas mk 5.

The soda bread was a great success and so delicious to eat hot with wensleydale and cranberry cheese, and very ripe French brie from Waitrose. www.waitrose.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to get your feedback - leave me a message!