Thursday 10 June 2010

Home-made Ravioli, Cherry Buns, Turkish Beans and Frittata

I don't cook for a while, and then I cook everything at once!  Had a very hectic weekend just gone with my friend Gill's new shop opening on Saturday - the Fluffatorium in West Street in Dorking.  She is dealing with all things fluffy, is an expert felt-maker and felt-artist and is also stocking knitting yarn.  I am the knitting coach so sign up for some blissful time, click-clacking and eating cup-cakes with me!  Knitting is peaceful, calming and allows you time for inspiration to seep into your otherwise hectic mind (it is for me, anyway).  It is a meditation without having to get into the lotus postion and light incense sticks!  Check out her website at www.gilliangladrag.co.uk

Cooked a few things this week, although I lost the plot tonight and used up some beefburgers, new potatoes and peas for the children!  I made a frittata for myself, using up bits and pieces from the fridge.  Frittatas are great because they are wonderful hot or cold, so ideal for the next day's lunch-box, or for a picnic.  Try this recipe, and you won't look back......
Then, I have been trying to reduce the amount of sugar my kids are eating, and haven't had biscuits or cakes in the house.  It's done a world of good, to me if no-one else!  But they have just finished a week of exams, so I baked some Cherry Buns for when they came home.  So comforting and lovely, they remind me of when I was small, sitting on a stile, having a break from walking with Mrs. Shelton and Steven her nephew on a Saturday afternoon.  Lovely!

Frittata

1 onion, chopped
1 tbs oil
1/2 a courgette, coarsely grated
1/2 a carrot, finely grated
a handful of pine-nuts
a cup of peas, preferably defrosted, but ok frozen (or spinach)
5 eggs, beaten in a jug
a splash of double cream
a grating of cheese (I used emmental)
Seasoning

Fry the onion in the oil in a frying pan about 25-27cm across.  When soft, add the grated courgette, stir for a couple of minutes.  Sprinkle the carrot evenly across the pan, then sprinkle on the peas and pine-nuts.  Pour the egg mixture over, pushing the ingredients down a little and season generously.  Leave to cook over a gentle heat for about 10 minutes.  Preheat the grill.  Grate some cheese over the surface of the frittata and grill until the top is beginning to turn golden-brown.  Serve with the Turkish Beans below.



Turkish Beans

This recipe came with my organic veg. box this week (www.greenergreens.com), along with some flat green beans.  You can try it with any kind of green bean, especially when you have a glut of runners later in the year!  I have lost the recipe, but this is the gist of it.

1 onion, chopped
25ml olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
100ml stock
400g green beans, cut to fit your saucepan
1 tbs sugar (do put this in, it makes all the difference)
seasoning

Fry the onion in a saucepan with the olive oil until soft.  Add the garlic and stir, then add the tomatoes, stock, beans and sugar.  Bring to a simmer and 3/4 cover.  Cook for 30 minutes.  Season to taste.  This dish should really be kept in the fridge overnight and served cool.

Cherry Buns

125g soft butter
125g caster sugar
125g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 a tub of un-dyed (what is that about?) glace cherries

Process all but the cherries together until smooth.  Cut the cherries into quarters, place into the processor and whizz for 10 seconds to mix.  Spoon the mixture into 12 cake cases and bake at 180 degrees/Gas Mark 4 for 15-18 minutes.  Eat as soon as they are cool enough to handle, or leave to cool!

I will post Home-made Ravioli tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to get your feedback - leave me a message!