Monday 14 June 2010

Vegetable Curry, Stuffed Tomatoes and Sticky Chicken

I succumbed to Football Mania this weekend..... or at least, had some people round for the lads to watch it and the ladies to sit and chat!  I made some curries and bought some from Waitrose because it was the Crowning of the May Queen at Jolie's school that morning, so the whole day was rather hectic.  In fact, I don't think I have recovered yet, because Sunday was Jake's birthday party!  Phew!
Anyway, here is my Veggie Curry recipe, which went down very well, and I had a request to include it here (thanks Jane!).  Tonight, I couldn't decide what to do, so I threw some chicken thighs in the oven covered with BBQ sauce and, Voila!, Sticky Chicken.  The children wolfed it down, which makes a change.  I was so fed up the other day that I was going to post the fact that Jolie only really eats chocolate, pesto pasta and roast potatoes.... no wonder she is a skinny-biffer!
And then we have Stuffed Tomatoes.  My friend (another Jane) is cutting down on the amount of wheat she eats because she feels so much better.  It made me realise just how much I consume, and think that I 'need', so I tried some quinoa (pron: keenwah) in some lovely, beefy tomatoes that were perfectly ripe for a change.  Lovely.
Have fun!

Vegetable Curry (forgot to take a pic!)

4 cooked potatoes, diced
2 carrots, sliced
1/2 a cauliflower, broken into florets
2 tbs oil
1 onion, chopped
2 tbs curry paste (I love Bart's Veeraswamy Gujarat Masala paste, from any supermarket)
1 courgette, sliced
1 tin tomatoes
4 tbs double cream

Boil the carrots and cauliflower for 5 minutes, until tender but still with some bite, and drain.
Fry the onion in the oil until soft.  Add the curry paste and stir. 
Add the cooked vegetables, the courgette and the tomatoes and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Add some seasoning.  Stir in the cream right at the last minute and serve with rice.

Sticky Chicken

Chicken thighs
HP Original BBQ Sauce (Classic Woodsmoke Flavour)

Preheat the oven to 220 degrees/Gas Mark 8.  Slash the thighs a couple of times and smother in a dollop of sauce each.  Then bake in the oven for 35 mins until sticky and caramelised. 




Stuffed Tomatoes

1/2 a red onion, chopped
1 tbs olive oil
1 courgette, finely diced 
6 mushrooms, finely chopped
Handful of fresh herbs: chives, sage, oregano
3 slices of halloumi cheese, diced
1 cup of quinoia (or basmati rice)
4 large beef tomatoes
4 slices of Emmental cheese

Tip the quinoia into a saucepan and add 2 cups of boiling water.  Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes and drain.  
Meanwhile, fry the onion in the oil until soft, then add the courgette and mushrooms.  Stir until starting to soften, then add the herbs, halloumi and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
Add the quinoia and mix well.
Cut a 'lid' off each tomato, scrape out the seeds and pulp.  Fill each one with a good helping of the quinoia mixture, place a slice of cheese on top and bake in a hot oven (220 degrees/Gas Mark 8) for 20 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft.  Lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to get your feedback - leave me a message!